Saturday, December 2, 2017

Talking to Strangers on a Plane

On the plane last night, I was chatting with the guy sitting next to me. He was mid-60's, white, highly educated, and wore cuff-links while writing a blog post about sulfur dioxide.

We were bonding over a shared love of algebra (don't judge!) and I told him about how now that my 5 year old can spell, I'm trying to get my husband to send coded messages, encrypted with matrices by hand, with me. (I am great at small talk and normal human anecdotes!) And he laughs and says:

"Isn't everything women say to men a coded message?"

Friends, I made a face that could have cut glass. He quickly back pedals saying "That's what the comedians say anyway"

"Those comedians who are now getting fired for sexually harassing and assaulting women?" I say as his smile fades. "I'm pretty sure those messages weren't coded."

He looks down, then back at me and says "Yeah... I guess not."

We went on to have an engaging conversation ranging from Tesla to childrearing. And... I think it made a difference. I hope it did.

No comments: