Wednesday, January 4, 2017

On Bra Sizes

Recently I saw the following meme and I felt some feelings.
Can I get an Amen?!
One of the grand common threads that unite all women (on my facebook feed) is that none of use can find bras that we like, are flattering, fit well, and are easily accessible within our paltry clothing budgets.

What gives bra manufacturers? Don't you want our $30? APPARENTLY NOT. Don't even start with the idea that 3-4 INCHES of fabric should add $50+ to the price of a bra. I shop at JoAnns, I know how much fabric costs and you can buy it wholesale.

It's not just big boobs vs small boobs as this meme suggests either.

G-d forbid if you're not in one of the four cup sizes VS sells. Smaller than a B cup? Get some weird ugly padding or Hello Kitty! Bigger than a D? Drive out into the boonies to a specialty shop to buy a boring ugly bra for $80+ OR settle for a 40D or some other nonsense that will give you back pain and make you look weird in your work clothes because you really should be wearing a 34G/H that no one will sell you. I say this as the lady in a $80, sort of ugly 36F because even the fancy specially bra shop a half an hour drive away didn't carry any 34G/H bras. (Yes, the internet exists, but it takes just as long to measure yourself, order something, and send it back because the sizes are meaningless and it still doesn't fit. At least driving out to the bra store is something I can do while leaving Toddler and Preschooler home with their daddy and thus has the added benefit of feeling like "self-care").

And, neither my body nor my breasts are even that big. Like, you don't look at me and think 'she has huge tits!' I look sort of average which is usually a huge privilege, but when it comes to women's clothing, even the whitest, thinnest, C-cuppiest of us don't get nice things, sizing that means anything, or pockets.

No comments: