Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Movies! (some spoilers)

One of the best parts of summer is that most of the movies I want to see come out in May, June and July - ridiculous, high budget action/adventures! Most recently Boybee and I saw Captain America and Harry Potter.

So far, Thor has been my favorite of the Marvel Avengers films. Iron Man is a really close second, but when it comes down to it, I prefer a female lead who gets to have a personality other than 'I have breasts, wear high heels and dither about.' In fact, the lame-ization of Pepper Potts sours an otherwise hilariously wonderful movie. I mean... they made her a love interest for gods' sakes. Really. I mean. The whole point of Tony Stark is that people in their right minds are vaguely repulsed by him.

Thor on the other hand had Natalie Portman as an awesome scientist with a goofy friend assistant. (Also, Chris Hemsworth. Yum.) The big difference is, in the comics Pepper is so cool and even gets her own mechsuit and flies around saving the day while in the movie... breasts and heels and swooning, whereas in comics Jane Foster is a nurse who works for Thor's alter-ego (who let the Norse God of Thunder get a medical license????) and in the movie she's an astrophysicist who runs around being awesome. No contest in terms of movies. 

Captain America had the benefit of starring Hugo Weaving, who may just be my favorite actor currently working. I am not a fan of the character but this movie made me love it. I'm not so excited for the inevitable adjusting to life in the 21st century plot line in the Avenegers movie, but... I'm going to see it and probably love it anyway. :)

No comments: